1. Visit Your Advisors. Spend some time getting a lay of the land and talk to your major and minor advisors as well as your Honors advisor. Each advising center has dedicated time for appointments each week to help you figure out what your MyPath is trying to tell you. Leave it to the experts to help you figure it out so that you aren’t in full freak-out mode on the day of registration! Click here to find your academic advisor for your major.
2. Set Some Priorities. When you think about next year, what do you want for yourself? Are you going to have a job, an internship, or a leadership role in your student organization? Are your classes going to get more challenging? What do you want your social life to look like? How about taking care of your wellness? These are all questions that you should be sitting with as you begin to set the groundwork for a successful year. We all know what it’s like to say that we are prioritizing something, like exercise. But what is it like to actually take all the steps to make it happen?
3. Make a plan. Before you register, you want to have a plan. A map to show you what next year could look like in an ideal world. Take into account the time and places of your class, allowing enough space to travel from Downtown to Allendale. Make sure to double check your plan so that it accounts for all the advice your advisors gave you as it checks off classes in your MyPath.
4. Find some B & C choices (as backup). Let’s face it, having backup options keeps us moving and sane. There is nothing worse than beginning the process or registering to find the sections of classes you want are all closed and you have no options. Try not to get yourself in that space, banging your head against the wall on the verge of a meltdown. Instead, have some additional choices in your back pocket. Remember, they are backup choices that can always be swapped out later for something that is a better fit. Try not to freak out and plan a few steps ahead instead.
5. Stick to it & register. Why would you give your spot to someone else and register another day? You wouldn’t! The best thing you can do is actually register on your assigned registration day, and make changes when you need to. In order to figure out your registration date, match your MyPath credits with a specific date on the registration calendar.